Wednesday, December 5, 2012

SHOULD AN AUTHOR READ REVIEWS OF THEIR OWN NOVEL?






I did it! I wrote a book and it's been published. Agenda 21, Glenn Beck with Harriet Parke. What's next? Will anybody read it? And more important, will they like it?

Ah, that's the question! Will they like it?

The people who lined up for the book signing with Glenn Beck liked it. But given that they were willing to stand patiently in line for our signatures, well, that's an indication they are fans.

But what about the anonymous audience, those folks who aren't family or fans? The book is selling well, the numbers are good. But do they like it?

With trepidation, I went to reviews. . . .strange sensation, clicking on comments about my own novel.
Quickly, I sorted through the reviews, and there were a lot of them!

Five stars. . .they liked the book for what it was. Fiction, dystopia, a look into the worst possible future, a cautionary tale.

One star. . .they disliked the book, in most cases without even having read it, because of obvious political bias.

The one star reviews are not relevant to the novel. They are just, for the most part, rants. So be it, freedom of speech and all that. They are easy to ignore.

Instead, I celebrate the five star reviews.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Harriet, I loved the book! My sister-in-law shared a copy with our friend (Who's in the anonymous audience) and she is REALLY enjoying it too. I bought a copy for a family member, because she will love it too, and it is a way for me to educate her without her knowing it! Thank you so much for the great story. I wish I could have been one to meet you and Glenn at the signings. I've been doing some of my own research on Agenda 21, and I'm glad to have the afterword to help in in that effort. I recently discovered some very disturbing similarities in my town's plans and Agenda 21. Anyway, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished Agenda 21 after (finally) getting it just two days ago. I couldn't put the book down! Definitely recommending it to as many people as possible.

    Thank you, Harriet for writing this and sharing it with Glenn. We cannot let what happened to Emmeline, her family and friends happen to us.

    BTW, I saw an article written by one of your editors complaining about Glenn's involvement with the book. Do you plan on responding? It seems pretty unbelievable that she would have worked with you on this and not notice that you were criticizing U.N. Agenda 21.

    Regardless, I just wanted to comment that you did a fantastic job on Agenda 21, and I hope to read more works like it by you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agenda 21 is a wonderful book narrating a possible all intrusive government, to me it did as good a job as David Weber's Honor Harrington series, and many other Sci-Fi series and books I have read. The only problem I have is the main character seems completely dumb as a box of rocks. Of course that works as a reflection of the society she was forced to grow up in.

    I pray we don't allow it to get that far in real life, but Obama and friends desperately dream of what is described.

    ReplyDelete